Food is power and you can use it to your advantage. Make sure your eating items that are essentially an SPF! Which edible items can act as under-cover SPF? Strawberries, tomatoes, chocolate, fish and leafy greens.
- Sweet, savory strawberries are in season during the summertime (when sunbathing increases) and are a great source of sun-guarding antioxidants called anthocyanins. Just one cupful is all you need!
- Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that is strongest in it’s cooked, or as a paste. Eating up to five tablespoons daily for a 12 week duration or longer has proven significantly less sunburn on those who consumed the said amount.
- Chocolate (the dark kind) is high in disease-fighting antioxidants called flavanols that can help prevent sun damage from harsh UV rays. This is your permission to join “the dark side” and eat a few blocks of dark chocolate, or even sipping cocoa can benefit your skin.
- Fish is full of omega-3 fatty acids and the oil it contains bolsters the body’s immune protection against low UV levels.
- Leafy greens are a top source of beta carotene, which is yet another antioxidant that helps fight against painful sunburn. Want to step up your game even more? Cook your greens in olive oil to assist your body in absorbing the nutrients your skin craves!
Say bye-bye to painful, itchy and unwanted sunburns. Trick those nasty UV rays by doubling up on your skin protection by regularly applying SPF 30 or higher and eating these great sources of powerful sun-fighting deliciousness!