With the abundance of products on the shelves that promise to beautify, enhance and transform, it is clever to understand the science that takes place in the making of such products and to understand the ingredients detailed on each product label. Being knowledgeable about which ingredients are most effective for your skin type, or desired treatment, is the best way to ensure the effectiveness of your dollar.
Your money will go further in the beauty aisle and allow you to buy top-notch beauty products when you take the time to research ingredients that will help you achieve the image you want! You can always count on us at Skin NV when it comes to your beauty questions, but it is smart to turn to your dermatologist, family doctor and hair stylist whenever you need an expert opinion. As far as your skin is concerned, some key ingredients to keep your eyes on are:
- Antioxidants – these are made up of vitamins and minerals and they have the ability to fight free radicals, which accelerate our ageing process.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids – originate from natural sources and include glycolic, lactic, citric, malic and tartaric acids. Alpha Hydoxy Acids (AHAs) are used for their ability to remove dead skin cells
- Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF) – works to increase the number of epidermal cells as well as the production of collagen, elastic and natural hyaluronic acid to assist with skin tone and elasticity.
- Hyaluronic Acid – occurs in our bodies naturally and it helps our skin to retain and attract moisture. Hyaluronic acid is used very frequently in moisturizer and serum to boost the skin’s moisture levels.
- Peptides – are like little messengers and are very commonly used in skincare to boost the skin’s collagen production, creating more elasticity and helping to reduce the appearance of lines.
- Plant Stem Cells – are used to trigger the skin to go into repair mode and assist it to produce more collagen and elastin.
- Retinol – promotes collagen production, therefore plumping the skin and working on lines and wrinkles. It speeds up skin cell turnover and exfoliates the skin, so it’s particularly effective in the treatment of uneven skin tone and pigmentation.
- Salicylic Acid – works brilliantly at dissolving oil blockages in the pores and exfoliates the skin.
- Vitamin C – is an antioxidant known to stimulate the production of collagen, working to plump the skin, minimizing fine lines, wrinkles and scars.